background

Friday, April 3, 2009

Martha Martha

Be still and know that I am God. -Psalms 46:10

Luke 10:38-41 "Martha welcomed Jesus into her home. She had a sister called Mary, who was seated at the Lord’s feet, listening to His word. 40 But Martha was distracted with all her preparations; and she came up to Him and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to do all the serving alone? Then tell her to help me.” 41 But the Lord answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; 42 but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.”

Our world is so full of distractions, such beautiful distractions that often times we don't even see them as distractions. I was thinking of Martha today as I was sipping my coffee and having my time with the Lord. I got to thinking of her because while I was trying to spend some quiet time with God and my bible I kept catching myself getting up. Taking my glass to the sink to wash it out, or starting some laundry, picking up dirty socks, picking up the house, rearranging things. Why is it so hard for me to be still? We're called to wait on the Lord we are so easily distracted, much like Martha, with the things of this World. What Martha was doing was good, she was making a meal for Jesus and his disciples, being hospitable. Did Jesus not teach that in the Bible??? And yet Jesus told her Mary picked the better thing...
I often forget what Mary knew that day sitting at Jesus' feet. Time with him is so precious so sweet, that nothing else in the world is more important than that.
So I sat back down today and made my mind up to stop allowing my mind to race with all the thoughts of what I needed to get done today. To realize it would all be there later after I had some sweet fellowship with My Jesus, and I just sat back and stopped striving. Ps 46:10
During this time I listened to a pod cast that was talking about how we rush everything including the Lord. We want answers and we want them now. We'll give God 10 minutes of our time and he better talk fast because although we only have 10 minutes we have a million questions to ask him and we need answers quick! Deadlines are approaching, time is running short and it's very limited with all the stuff we have to get done today....
I also got convicted about my attitude in church. We are in such a hurry to leave the church... We want our quick fix service set programs.... worship music, a special to go along with passing the offering plate, then a 25 minute sermon and don't go late you'll interrupt our Cowboys Game, which kicks off at 12:30 sharp! The preacher man put it this way.
"Can I wash my car in 4 minutes? Then why do we expect people to pass from death to life in just 4 minutes and 2 stanzas of "Turn your eyes upon Jesus".....
I realized today my impatience during church is such a HUGE sin against God it's impatience and it's greedy.... If only I saw what was truly happening.... If I could only see that people were and ARE dying on a daily basis without my JESUS my savior. That they do not know there's a way out of the hell that they are living in or will die in. IF only I knew and could understand what God's heart feels and understands. He loves all his children he does not want any to perish.
It makes me want to pray! It makes me want to be like the woman in Luke 2:38 she never left the temple, but continued to worship there night and day with times of fasting and prayer." If only we could catch wind of what prayer could really do. How prayer could change us, our family, our neighbors, our nation.
I want to see the Lord's heart I want to feel what he feels.

-Keri-

1 comment:

cmarion said...

Hi Sweethearts!!! Happy Easter. You are on your way to Canyon, 8:30. Be careful, we love you. Reading your post, Keri, makes me think of what we talked about Friday night, "in God's time, not our time". It also convicts my heart on concentrating on giving God my time and attention. Love, MOM