background

Monday, October 12, 2009

What kind of Story are you living out?



I started a new book by Donald Miller called, " A Million Miles in a Thousand Years."

In this book Donald Miller is approached about turning a book he wrote a few years back into a movie. Through making this movie he is able to edit his life, and reexamine certain points about his past, look at how is living now and set a goal of what he hopes his story will tell in the end.
Throughout this book he is comparing Stories and being challenged by the thought of what makes up a good story?
Never having made a movie before he learns what goes into a good movie.... And the difference in a good story and just an average one. In a good movie we expect conflict, the protagonist must endure some kind of conflict. If there was no conflict it'd be a pretty dull film in which we would quickly lose interest in.
But when it's not a film, not a movie we are watching but it is our actual life WE run from conflict, we don't want any sort of conflict to be in our lives and rather than
"embrace the potential greatness of the story we are actually in. We think of God as unjust rather than a master storyteller".
When conflict arises I know I am very quick to start praying that the Lord will pull me out of this situation quick. He would make it go away. AND YET Jesus tells us
"In the world you will have TROUBLE." Do we not believe him or did we just skip over that part in our bible... I think I'm above it? That the world will have trouble but for KERI I'll rescue you from it every time. This is how I seem to think it should be. I'm quick to cry out injustice and I get upset when God doesn't answer my prayers in what I feel is a timely manner.

But Just as JOB saw the bigger picture we must also stand back and see we are not alone. That this world does not revolve around us but that we are simply in it for God's purpose, his plan. And you know amazingly enough this Infinite great God who spoke the planet into being with his very words, who hangs the stars in the heavens, and who loves us, wants us to be apart of his great plan. He desires for us to be in the big picture and somehow He is still going to work everything out for my good as well Romans 8:28 says.

For Me, Donald Miller challenges me in the way I see my life and what type of story I am living out. Is it a good story? And who's doing the writing of this story is it the master author GOD or is it me? Do I still really believe I know what is best for my life or will I trust the all knowing God to know what is going to be best for me?
I want to live out a good story.... and I want that Story to bring my God GLORY. I want my life my story to always and forever point to him.

I'm not really sure if I'm to the point of making an epic story... that's something that will involve a large sacrifice maybe even giving up a life there would definitely be pain involved. But Donald says, "It's the Conflict that changes the person... the joy comes after it."
So I say whatever story the Lord leads me to I pray I have the courage to fight through the hard times, to look above my own circumstances, and to see the Lord has a bigger masterpiece he is working on. After all he is the MASTER STORYTELLER.....

No comments: